How do I use the datAshur PRO for the first time?
The datAshur PRO can be used straight out of the box with the default User PIN. Please follow the 3 simple steps below:
1. Press the Key Button once and within 10 seconds begin to enter the default User PIN 1-1-2-2-3-3-4-4
2. Press the Key Button again
3. The LED light will change from solid red to solid green, indicating the device is unlocked.
How do I change the default User PIN?
Unlock the datAshur PRO with the default user PIN 1-1-2-2-3-3-4-4. Then, whilst the green LED light is on, proceed with the following steps:
1. Press the Key button twice (double-click)
2. Within 10 seconds begin to enter the new User PIN (The PIN must be 7 – 15 digits long)
3. Press the Key button twice (double-click)
4. Within 10 seconds begin to re-enter new User PIN
5. Press the Key button twice (double-click)
How do I unlock the datAshur PRO if the battery is dead?
Your datAshur PRO has a built-in rechargeable battery. Even if the battery is fully discharged you can continue to use the drive by following the instructions below:
1. Connect the datAshur PRO to a USB port on any computer
2. While connected to the computer, enter the User or Admin PIN to unlock the drive
3. While connected to the USB port, the internal battery will automatically charge – this is shown by a flashing blue LED light
4. We recommend you keep the datAshur PRO connected for approximately 1 hour to fully charge the battery.
The internal battery used in the drive is used as a convenience to enter a PIN before you connect the drive. Therefore, if the battery is not recharging, you should be able to enter a PIN and unlock the drive whilst it’s connected to a USB port (although admin functions will not be available).
What is the difference between the user and admin mode?
We recommend those who purchased the drive for personal use have just one PIN, whereas for those using the datAshur PRO in a corporate environment we strongly suggest creating an Admin PIN and User PIN.
Admin mode allows you to:
• Recover data from the drive and configure a new User PIN in the event an employee has forgotten their PIN
• Retrieve data from the drive if an employee leaves the company
• Set policies such as ‘Read-Only’
• The Admin PIN can be used to override all user settings.
What is the IP rating of the datAshur PRO?
The datAshur PRO is IP57 certified.
Dust protected: Complete protection against contact and protected from limited ingress of dust. That means ingress of dust is not entirely prevented, but enough dust can enter without interfering with the satisfactory operation of the equipment.
Immersion up to 1m: The datAshur PRO is protected from immersion between 15 centimetres and 1 metre in depth.
What if I forget my PIN?
If you forget the User PIN, you can use the Admin PIN to unlock the drive and set a new User PIN. However, if you forget both the User and Admin PIN, there is no way of gaining access to the data stored on the drive. As part of the drive’s designed security, there are no back doors into the drive. You will need to reset your datAshur PRO in order to use it again. The reset process creates a new encryption key, deletes User and Admin PINs and deletes all data.
How do I reset the datAshur PRO?
The reset feature is useful in case the User PIN is forgotten, or if you would like to delete all data stored on the drive and configure a new User PIN. The reset process will clear the User and Admin PIN, the encryption key and will destroy all data. This means the datAshur PRO will revert to the default user PIN set as 1-1-2-2-3-3-4-4. Also, since this forces the creation of a new encryption key, the datAshur PRO will have to be reformatted.
Please follow this procedure:
1. Press and hold the number 7 button, then press the Key button once and release buttons
2. Press 9-9-9
3. Press and hold the number 7 button, then press the Key button once and release buttons
After resetting the datAshur PRO, the red LED light fades out as it completes the reset process.
What is BadUSB and are iStorage devices susceptible to this exploit?
BadUSB is a theoretical exploit that was presented by SR Labs at the Black Hat conference in August 2014. SR Labs demonstrated a vulnerability in one USB device that allowed malicious code to be programmed into the USB controller through a firmware update process.
The attack described is very sophisticated and, in the case of iStorage products, would require advanced knowledge of our USB controller, a leaked version of our firmware, the programming tool to update our controller, the password used for our programming tool and an in-depth understanding of the device’s functionality.
According to SR Labs, the failsafe method to eliminate this threat is to simply disable the ability to update the controller’s firmware. Many of iStorage devices shipping today, including all our USB 3.0 security products, already have the firmware locked which prevents field updates to the USB controller.
As a continuous improvement, iStorage is locking down the firmware on all USB controllers used in iStorage devices to safeguard against this vulnerability. We recommend checking our website periodically for notices regarding BadUSB and Security Updates.
Formatting the datAshur PRO in Windows
The datAshur PRO comes in five capacities: 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB and 128GB. While Windows has no problem formatting the 8GB, 16GB and 32GB drives in the FAT32 file format system, the same is not true for the drive that goes over the 32GB threshold. Windows will only format the datAshur PRO 64GB and 128BG drives in the NTFS or exFAT file format systems. To use the FAT32 file format you will have to use a third-party software.
What is the datAshur PRO’s operating temperature?
The operating temperature range for datAshur PRO is 0-45 °C, which has been tested and recommended for practical use.